Wednesday, September 29, 2010

7 Bucks

7 Bucks


When I was working in Bengaluru, One day after completing my work, I was on my way to get back to my room. From my work location I need to walk for about 10 minutes to get to Kormangala 5th Block bus terminal where I have to board a bus to BTM layout water tank. Usually I keep 7 bucks separately in my back pocket before I reach the bus stop as this is the fare of the bus ticket. I reached the bus terminal where I had to board the BMTC(Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation)-bus.


I was waiting for a bus standing in front side of the terminal. Few minutes after a guy walked towards me who was 6 ft 2in taller, dressed formally, with long hair, holding a laptop bag, looking like a professional.

Can you lend me 7 bucks yes Can you lend me 7 bucks is what he asked me in a pleasing manner. I asked him why? He replied that it is for bus ticket.

I said no, I have the money but still I said NO to him. He went few steps away from where I was standing. Few seconds later, I started staring and mocking at him. He observed that and signaled at me asking what's wrong. I said, Hey listen! this is second time you are asking me 7 bucks. He murmured ‘so what?’, nodded his head in all possible directions and immediately boarded the bus that has stopped at the terminal.


Two weeks before this happened, I was standing in the same bus terminal after a hectic day at work. The same guy whom I described earlier walked towards me and asked can you lend me 7 bucks. This was the first time I looked at him and after hearing that, without even waiting for a few seconds and not even asking why, I gave him 7 bucks from my back pocket.Few minutes after, I got my bus, getting in to the bus I was looking for 7 bucks in my pocket, but as I had already given it to the tall guy I opened my wallet and found that there are all 100 notes, not even a single penny change is there. I gave bus conductor 100 Rupees note and asked him 1 ticket to BTM water tank.He looked at me from top to bottom and asked 7 Rupees chiller madi (give me 7 Rupees change).I said I had no change. He again looked at me from top to bottom and gave me the ticket he wrote on the back side of the ticket 90 and went off.


At first instance I gave him the money without even asking for the reason. This is the reason I said No to him the second time and asked him why he needs 7 bucks.


After a month I saw him again in the same bus stop. I was waiting for bus and he came closer to me, looking at me he took a quick U-turn and left the place. Looks like his recognition algorithm worked this time. The next instance I saw him was few days later when I was few meters away from the same bus terminal. He was talking to some other guy in the bus terminal. By the time I reached the terminal point he left. I couldn't resist myself from enquiring the other guy about their conversation.I said excuse me what was the tall guy asking you. He replied saying that he was asking for some money for bus ticket. Anxiously I asked him how much, he said 7 bucks. Then I told him that it's his daily routine and before this, he asked me twice. Then the other guy told me that he was really felling bad that he couldn't help as he doesn't have the change. I said you have got nothing to worry about so just chill.


The last instance when I saw him was after three or four months. At that time, I was jobless and was doing nothing except looking out for a new job. One day I planned to go to one of my friend's room in Kormangla to setup and configure my previous project's code on his desktop (to document all the work I had done and to brush up on the project's code). After having lunch at my place (Paying guest-BTM water tank) I reached the nearest bus terminal carrying the DVD which has all the setup related files. I was waiting for the bus, few minutes later, some other route bus stopped at the terminal. Then the same guy who was 6 ft 2in taller, dressed formally, with a long hair and holding a laptop bag, looking like a professional got down at the terminal.


By looking at him, the first thought that came to my mind was that how much is he earning on the daily basis. I was so eagerly and anxiously wanting to got to him and ask him about the details of the business he is doing. I don't no what stopped me but for the next five minutes I was feeling like come on dude go go....go and ask him. But I couldn't do that and he boarded the bus that came along. After spending few more minutes I could see down the road that the bus I need to get in to is coming. The bus stopped this time not at the terminal but few meters away from the stop. I boarded the bus and asked the conductor one ticket to kormangala water tank. He gave me the ticket and said '7 Bucks' please.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was my first experience of this kind. After this I had a similar kind of experience in Hyderabad too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When I was working in Madhapur-Hyderabad I stayed near to my work place, hardly 5-10 minutes walk through the lanes. One day while walking through the lanes to reach my room I came across a family (man, wife & 2 young kids by the road side) in one of the cross roads. I had seen that the man is asking something to every one who passed by. My turn came as he came to me and said babu we came here from our village in search of work but couldn't find one. We are planning to go back, but these kids need some food so can you help us, its not that I am asking money you can give us food. By looking at the scene over there I took my wallet out and gave him 50rs and left the place. Three hours later I came out of the room to have my dinner.


After having my food I was going back to my room, I thought let me go through the way where I had seen the family. It’s hardly a lane away through which I can also reach my room. Few minutes and I entered the lane where I can see the family still there. I had observed the family and the man is still going to each and every one passing by on the other side of the lane. His wife and children are on the side through which I was walking. I felt like asking his wife if the children had some food which I couldn't and was just passing by. I was stopped by the women who said babu my children need food so can you please help. I thought like I got a chance here and asked her haven't your man brought food for this kids. Some four hours back I gave him 50 Rupees and still you are asking money for food. She couldn't answer me and in the mean time the man came by and was about to ask something (help/money) then he recognized me and was left silent. I asked him hey babu haven't you got enough money to give your children food till now. He was speaking in a low voice sir adi...babu.....adi......with anguish the next second I left the place.


I had this habit of withdrawing money on Sunday morning which I can use for the rest of the week. For this I used to walk from Madhapur to HITEC city ICICI ATM which is close by. I used to enjoy this walk ever week unless Mr.Suryabagawan has come early on Sunday Morning. On that day I had withdrawn money and was on my way, few meters away I can see the same family walking in the opposite direction. The movement we came closer he again tried to start his same old story to which I signaled my hand and walked away leaving them behind.


Experiencing all of these I feel that people like them are exploiting the human emotions and banking on them. Which is what most of our leaders or so called politicians do. But while coming to the general people (Aam Aadmi) we can't accept it. I know in above instances its only 7 or 50 Rupees but I feel if a person is in real need even 1Rupee will make a difference. Looking hearing or experiencing this kind instances we might not be able to help the one's who are in real need. And also I feel that helping others (strangers) doesn't always have to be in terms of money.


If some situation comes up where we come across people who needs help instantly say in bus terminals, railway junctions or anywhere else we can just ask them few meaningful questions spend few more minutes and then based on our analysis if you feel reasonable we can go ahead and help them.


Finally I had read some where that “give or help for the JOY of giving”...............

4 comments:

  1. Nice post Kranthi. Same instance happened with me. He is good looking and he is speaking like a professional. He stopped me and said he is working for Bajaj Allianz and he forgot his valet. he says that he is a asthma patient and showed me his prescription. And he asked me for 50 bugs. But i couldn't resist myself to give him money. But we need to make sure not to give money for such kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also faced this kind of instance in hyderabad and most of the times i just neglect them and go away

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna its nice people have to know what is happening around

    Same things happen to me also but from some time I had stopped giving money, if I fell they are really in help I will buy some food and give them

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi...

    kranthi... good grammer ....nice sentence formation....i never expected you can write few lines ... congrats dude..

    i have something differnt in my mind yaar.... i belive begging is begging ....in which form or what form...so u got one form of experience if u like and convince with his way accept else leave him with a smile...
    kranthi look at their position what they will do... they were not gifted or given with the skills of geting money ....if they are so will they prefer to do so..??
    and dont forget how best they are when comparing to chain snatchers, street rowdies..even when compared to corrupted employees and politicians ....

    hmm... dont take the things in personal dear...let them get their food in a peaceful manner.. anyhow neither you nor me cant provide opportunity to either work or way to earn money to fill his stomach.. so let him go in his own way instead making him to anger on society by scolding of criticizing ..

    ReplyDelete